Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

my dog keeps trying to cough and threw up a few times but just

my dog keeps trying to cough and threw up a few times but just bile, and she is swallowing hard, wants me to rub her throat, I never feed her pumpkin from a can, but a friend recommended it to see if it would clear her throat, she is shaking like she is scared, what do you recommend?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Tootsie.

Dogs RARELY actually have something stuck in the throat, so to give some type of food item to a dog that may be vomiting is not good advice.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

My hope is that one of the above antacids may help to settle the stomach and stop some of her discomfort. But, I can't be certain.

Shaking suggests possibly bad nausea or pain.
Very sorry she is not feeling well. I would avoid giving any food items right now. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess my question is, why is she doing this with out of the blue....she has never done this before. Should I try peroxide to make her throw up all that is in her? She is just over a year and does eat anything in sight. why does she want me to rub her throat? This antacid answer was on google, I feel that what I was told....which didn't answer why, I learned for free online already.

If she is vomiting already you could cause severe illness giving peroxide now.

Common causes for this sickness could be:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

So, great that you learned about antacids, but the information about the differential list for possible illness and the direction to not give peroxide is very valuable. I think you would agree.

Hi Tammy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tootsie. How is everything going?