Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog ate a piece of a tile. What should I do?

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How big was the piece of tile?

Was it like flooring tile?

How much does Charlie weigh?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

45 pounds. I think it was a piece of ceramic tile. It was small about 1/4 inch

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

With this kind of ingestion, the best thing to do is to wait to see if it passes normally.

If it were something softer, we could suggest getting Charlie to vomit it up..however, because this was a ceramic tile, we don't want to do that for fear of lacerating the digestive system on the way out.

At this point, I would actually feed him so that the piece of tile is surrounded by the food as it goes through the digestive tract. Make sure to monitor him defecating for the next several days to see if the tile passes.

IF you notice Charlie doing any attempting to vomit or defecate with no success, stops eating, becomes lethargic, or acts like his belly is painful, then you should have him seen by his vet for evaluation of where the piece is...but most times a piece this small passes through with no issues.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! He tends to eat anything outside but most times we can get it. We are also working on drop it. I did feed him after it happened I thought it might help. T.hanks again

You're very welcome!!!

After you rate/accept my answer, please give him a scratch on the head for me!!