Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Hello Joan. Ive written you about my german shepherd dog.

Hello Joan. I've written you about my german shepherd dog. He does have giardia and we've been treating him with flagyl. He weighs ovver 20 pounds and is 13 weeks old. Is garlic bad for dogs? We would also like to try panacur to help rid him of gardia. does this parasite ever go away? we keep the kennel and any area he's in clean. we sterilize his dishes. thank you

Hi and welcome back,

Thank-you for requesting me. First let me say Garlic and Onion are both toxic to dogs, so neither should be given. This is a linl about some toxic foods:

Giardia is a very tough parasite to get rid of, but with proper cleaning methods and treatment you should be able to get a hold on it. You should be bathing Big as well as keeping his kennel clean. The Oocysts can stick to the coat which can reinfect him. I would ask the Vet about using a combination of medications. Panacur has been used in conjunction with Pyrantel and Praziquantel to treat the Giardia. This link goes over several suggestions for treatment:

If the infestation in the intestinal tract is heavy it may take combination of medications to help knock it out. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Hi Rebeccca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Big. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello. thank you for following up. we took in a stool sample and it turned out clean. he's doing really well and did well with the trainer. the past three days, however, he whines when he poops, not all the time but every now and then. his poop is soft and formed, no hardness at all. the trainer raises and trains police dogs and said that german shepherds are big babies. he even cried when he thought i was going to clean his ears. i had everything ready and he knew what was going on and saw me reach for his ear.

your thoughts?

It may take a bit for his stomach to come back to normal. The Probiotics should help with the stool and you can add a tablspoon of canned pumpkin in with his food. This is high fiber and should help bring the stool together. His anal area may be sore from what he has gone through with all the loose stools. A warm compress and some Neosporin should help soothe the area. As far as being a baby, it takes time to gain trust after the Vet visits and what he has gone through. I have had German Shepards and as they mature they become very strong and loving family dogs. I am sure with time he will will get used to things being done and settle into having his ears handled and once his stools are back to normal, that problem should stop too. Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm giving him Honest Kitchen all natural food along with his kibble. The honest kitchen has to be mixed with water and i pour that over his kibble. i feed him twice a day and he seems much better with this food. I give him carrots and apples in between in small slices in between meals if he seems hungry. he doesn't beg. could the carrots and apples be too much for his stomach? also, he's not on any medication now should i put him on probiotics to help his stomach?

Probiotics are not medication. They are to help replenish the Gut flora killed off by the antibiotics that were used to treat the Giardia. You can get Forte Flora at the larger Pet supplies or through the Vet. I also suggest the canned Pumpkin, it works great to help solidify stools. I would give salt free canned green beans as a treat instead of the fresh veggies or apple right now. See if this protocol helps. I have had to go through this with my girl when I brought her home from the shelter. Joan

Just wanted to give this to you about Probiotics: