Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have a boston terrier and she has gone into heat, but she

I have a boston terrier and she has gone into heat, but she has swelled to fist size and is hanging as if she had a vulva sack...can this be normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

Is just the vulva swollen or does it appear as if there is a tongue or sac coming out of the vulva?How many days has she been in heat (blood show or first noticed swelling)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it appears as if a sac is coming out now. It has been about 3 weeks since the swelling, it started at about walnut sized and now is very heavy fist size. She has bled for at least two weeks.

JaCustomer,

It sounds like your dog may have vaginal hyperplasia or uterine prolapse. During certain phases in a dog’s heat cycle, vaginal tissue may swell and protrude through the vulva and look like a tongue shaped object. This is seen most often in young intact female dogs.

Symptoms of this are a protrusion of a round tissue mass from the vulva, Licking of the vulva, painful urination and not allowing breeding. If your dog can still urinate, it is not generally an emergency, but your dog should see the vet as soon as possible. If your dog can not urinate, then she needs to see the Vet immediately. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/uterine-prolapse-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You vet may be able to suture it back into place and trim away any dead tissue present, however, often it will happen again with the next heat cycle. Spaying can prevent reoccurance. I I would try and get her seen as soon as you can get her in with her vet. .

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kipper. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kipper did indeed have uterine prolapse. She was spayed the next day....would have been major $ to correct in order to have pups and the risk of reoccurance was very high, so I could not ever risk her to go the breeding route. She has not fully recovered yet, but the swelling has dropped to walnut size and is starting to look more like a regular dog's female parts. Vet told us her recovery would take longer as the swelling is also a reaction to the hormones which will not level out right away.

So wish us luck we are still holding our breath a little.

Thanks for confirming what I suggested it was. It did sound like a classic case. The hormones can take as long as a month to even out. I'm pretty confident that she will be fine now just keep an eye on her and be sure she continues to urinate with out difficulties.