Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

my shihtzu has 4 day old pups, 3, she had them at 3:30 am Sat

my shihtzu has 4 day old pups, 3, she had them at 3:30 am Sat morning. She retained a placenta, I took her to vets at 1:00p.m, for oxy shot. She's not eating hardly any thing. I have tried , omelets, with cheese, puppy formula mixed with dry and canned food. some really smelly cheap can food, ( she liked that a little),boiled chicken, beef stew ( homemade) ate a small amount of that. A half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich ! I was desperate !. Just took her temp and its only 99.7. Now what do I do ? Take her in to vet ? And what antbiotic is safe for a nursing mom? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 8 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear your little one is having trouble.

Yes this warrants a vet visit tonight at your local animal emergency. Anytime the temp drops below 100 this is cause for concern( unless the dog is in labor) as this could indicate severe infection, shock or organ failure.The loss of appetite is also very concerning as this will have a direct effect on milk production.

As for what drugs are safe it depends on exactly what is being treated if infection may vets will give either low doses of amoxi or cephalexin. If there is infection this could spread to her milk risking the health of the pups so I would get her in right away.

If you are able to take her in tonight I would suggest taking the pups with you and make sure you have replacement milk on hand if needed.

I hope she does ok and this is nothing serious. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX ok to wait till first thing in morning,? My vet is on call, but I won't have a way to get there till a.m. Also, even though she got oxytocin shot, is it possible an infection could be caused from placenta?

Thank you !, Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 8 months ago.
If you can not get her in then try to keep her warm tonight so she can keep the pups warm. If you have a heating pad put this on low and cover with a towel and allow her and the pups to lay on it just be sure it is not to hot.

Yes infection could be caused by the retained placenta even though you got her in pretty quickly.

Please let me know how she is doing.
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX keep heating pad in whelping box, for at least a few weeks or untill I notice pups not using it anymore. Will try to get some more food in her, some warm stew beef, maybe she will eat some. Great, now I'm going to worry all night ! Will let you know as soon as get her in.

One more queaton, why would temp be low , instead of high if theres infection ?

Expert:  Candy replied 8 months ago.
It depends on the severity of the infection. When they become septic the temp drops.

Try not to worry and just check on her through the night.

Try to take her temp again just to be sure you did not get the thermometer into a piece of stool which could give you a false reading.Hopefully that is the case. It is not a critical situation unless the temp goes below 98. Keeping her warm should help prevent this.