EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years experience..
63977546

Hi Dr. Bruce, Our dog Maggie will be 13 in January. In September

Hi Dr. Bruce, Our dog Maggie will be 13 in January. In September she was diagnosed with spleen cancer. Our doctor said that in 30 years in practice he has never had an animal come in, in such an early stage of it. He did surgery the next day. It has been almost 2 months, and she is losing weight every day, even though we feed her around the clock. She doesn't drink much water lately and urinates frequently. Her vet wants to do more surgery, and I am thinking what for it is obvious that it spreads to the liver. She is on Chinese herbs, probiotics, omega 3 and off all processed foods. He might also want to do another mri. Do you have any other suggestions? ,ps I ordered tumexal, but upon doing more research decided not to. Thank You MaryAnn

EmergencyVets :

Hello my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

This question was originally locked for Dr. Bruce, but recently released for other veterinarians to answer. I wanted to help you today if I can with my personal experiences with cases over the past 12 years.

EmergencyVets :

I am sorry to hear about your sad situation with Maggie.. I lost my Labrador to splenic cancer at 12 years of age and he only made it 3 weeks post-op with chemo as well.

EmergencyVets :

Once diagnosed as cancer - honestly most dogs last 2 weeks to 6 months. I agree that a second surgery will not change the ultimate outcome .. The rapid weight loss and changes you are seeing makes me think and agree with you that her quality of life may soon begin to fail and all the chemo, herbs, and surgery will not change the ugly face of cancer.

EmergencyVets :

I am sorry for the changes you have seen. It is not easy to see an old friend deteriorate in front of you.. I would suggest avoiding the second surgery and continuing palliative care until she quits eating, begins vomiting, or is unable to get around comfortably - at that point you will know it is time..

EmergencyVets :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you feel you have received anything less, please let me know as I am happy to continue this chat until you are satisfied. Kindly rate our chat when you are done. I wish you all the best. Dr. Chad

Hi Maryann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

EmergencyVets