Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

WHAT IF THE SMELL AND ICTHY SKIN DOESNT GO AWAY AFTER 7 DAYS

WHAT IF THE SMELL AND ICTHY SKIN DOESNT GO AWAY AFTER 7 DAYS ON CEFTIN ? CAN I GIVE HER MORE

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Did the vet diagnose the skin condition as bacteria?

Did you have a skin scraping done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have not had that done .But after the first day of the Ceftin the smell was gone and she doesnt itch she is doing so good .

Well the problem with just giving an antibiotic, though it will take care of a bacterial skin infection, but over a specific time that bacterial infection from giving antibiotics can turn into a fungal infection. You can give the antibiotics for ten days then if the problem persists a vet visit is in order. A skin scraping will determine if you are dealing with something bacterial ,fungal or yeast and each require a different treatment. I would continue the use of the antibiotic for 3 days since you have only given it for seven but if the problem continues you may need a special shampoo.