Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

I took my to a stud. The first days he mounted her and

I took my bitch to a stud. The first days he mounted her and they tied. We tried again the next day and he will not try to mount. He licks her and stays near her but he will not mount her any more. She keeps trying to get him to mount by playing with him, humping him, backing up to him, flagging and even nipping him. He will not mount her again. Is something wrong? They are both yorkies.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi Jacustomer

,.

My name isXXXXX have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.

.

There are three stages to the heat cycle. During the first part, male dogs will be coming around and the female usually won't allow males to breed. Some males will still try but others will wait The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way as you are seeing.. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating. Most breeders allow the dogs to mate every other day during this period.

Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days. She may still flag during this period. Now a proven male will know when the best time to mate with the female is. They may still hang around and as you have seen lick the female but if they have already mated with her several times during the most fertile time, he may not mount any more especially if she is starting into the last stage of heat.

.

Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog.

.

Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

.

I've been breeding for about 19 years now and with young males, I will see them try to mate the whole heat cycle, but my proven males tend to just hang around my females in heat and only mount them during the most fertile period. As long as you have witnessed a few ties, your female should be pregnant.

.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have ..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes Ma'am I am aware of the information you just replied. Maybe I need to give you more information.My dogs heat came earlier than expected, so i am not sure of the first day. I started counting when I noticed. It is important to get the time right because I used another stud in another state. I noticed that she started flagging and allowing my stud to mount. I was there so there is no possible way they connected. I used him to judge her actions as to when she is ready since I was unsure of when her heat stared. I contacted the stud owner and we got together 2 days later. Her stud was excited and he mounted her. They tied for about 3-7 minutes. I noticed after awhile that she was still bleeding some. The next day we tried again and he just was not interested. She on the other hand was trying to get him to mount her. She showed ALL the signs of being ready. She tried to mount him and kept backing up to him but he just walked away. He stayed close but was no longer interested in mating. I am not use to this behavior from a stud so I was wondering if there could have been a problem with her or him. He is a new stud and she is the 2nd female he has had but he did not do this with the other bitch. She has been bred several times before by a reputable breeder that also show yorkies. So the dog is experienced and never had any problems. Other males are trying to get at her so I am confused.

Tabitha,

It may be that he is more sensitive to the minute changes in the dog's cycle and can sense she is going out of heat. He may also have gotten mixed signals for the female.

Since you did bring her to him, then she may be starting to go out of heat since she has been in the right stage for at least 3-4 days and maybe more. Other causes might be that the new stud may have injured himself during the mating and thus is reluctant to mount again. This may be as simple as a strain on the knee or hip.

Another possible cause would be that she is having an abnormal heat cycle which I will give you information on below. An abnormal heat cycle can cause a dog to have a short estrus or a split estrus leading to what you are seeing. However, since other dogs are still interested and she seems to be flagging, I'd be sure to have the owner check the stud. Here is the site on abnormal heat cycles. http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

She has mated at least once and that should be enough to produce a litter, but if she is having an abnormal heat cycle that can affect the pregnancy. If she was my dog, I'd have your vet run some tests on her hormone levels to see if she is cycling normally.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Hi Tabitha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Well , I am playing the wait game. It would seem that this point is the time that would be her fertile time.The neighbors dog is going crazy trying to get to her. I thought I was off because she was allowing the stud to mount. I took cues from the bitch instead of going with the count. I hope that I did not waste my money and time and she is pregnant. I am taking precautions and keeping her in the house away from other dogs. So I guess in four weeks I will know!