Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My vetsaid to give the heartguard 1 week after comfortis but

My vetsaid to give the heartguard 1 week after comfortis but my room mate gave them together. My 11 year old rottienas been treated for heartworms with ivermec in the past and is mildly positive. Is she indanger with the combo?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bizzy.

Well, the comfortis medication (spinosad) for flea control shouldn't cause any problems.
Ivermectin is a very weak medication in heartgard. Very low concentration. I'm not quite sure what mildly positive means, as it takes some additional testing like chest x-rays and echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) to truly know the severity of a worm burden in the heart. It can't be determined just by blood testing.

So, at this point, I would say there is nothing else to do. You could only monitor Bizzy for any possible reaction. The other concern with giving them together is for a general increased risk of causing stomach upset.
So, most vets, whether having heartworm disease or not, still recommend seperating them by a few days to avoid stomach upset.

So, I don't think there is any additional danger, but I can't vouch for how accurate the mild positive diagnose may be.
So, if no stomach problems result, I think you are in pretty good shape.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank-you. I think my vet was concerned about stomach upset. She appears to be experiencing some symptoms now. She drank a large amount of water and is a little lethargic. I appreciate your help. Fingers crossed she will get through this ok.

You are very welcome Marj.

I hope everything goes okay and that my answer was satisfactory.