Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I have a 2 yr old English Mastiff who is being treated for

I have a 2 yr old English Mastiff who is being treated for a confirmed case of "Rocky Mountain Spotted fever". Tomorrow morning he has an appointment first thing. He is on "Dox-a-cyillian" (antibiotic) pain meds and stomach meds. Tonight he is running a high fever 106. Is there anything I can do to bring that fever down?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I'm in northern MN and we're a tick-borne disease hotspot. We're actually considered an epidemic area...out of every 10 dogs we test, we get about 7 positives.

The fever is actually very common with RMSF, and unfortunately, there is nothing over-the-counter you can give him. The only safe human medication is aspirin, and it's an anti-inflammatory, but NOT a fever reducer. We can't use medications that are fever reducers such as Acetaminophen (Advil), Ibuprofen (Tylenol) or Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) because they're all toxic...even in very small amounts.

106 is dangerously high for a dog (their normal temperature is 101 - 102.5), and combined with the RMSF, I would have to urge you to get him seen by an emergency vet tonight. They'll be able to use cooling blankets and IV fluids to safely bring his fever down. If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plugging in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the nearest one.

That being said...if you're completely unable to get him to an emergnecy vet tonight, then I'd recommend monitoring him closely tonight. Encourage him to drink water. If there is low sodium chicken broth in your house, you could try adding a little of that to the water to make it smell more temping. You can also use a cool rag/towel rubbed over him to try to help cool him off.

I hope he's feeling better soon.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can I use ice packs or cold shower? He has been drinking water, but I would love to get the temp down

Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
You could use the shower...but don't make him super cold...just luke warm...tepid....we don't want to bring his fever down too fast and send his body into shock.
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 months ago.
Hi Mark,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Louie. How is everything going?

Lisa