Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog got loose yesterday, stayed out all night and got sprayed

My dog got loose yesterday, stayed out all night and got sprayed by a skunk. This morning, I finally caught her and put her on the back porch in a kennel with food and water. She was fine. We had to leave the house for a few hours, and when we came back she was shaking uncontrollably and can not stand up. I gave her sugar water and powerade, but it didn't help.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your girl is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

What color are her gums and tongue?

Any vomiting?

Other then the shaking and inability to walk are there any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they are both pink.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both pink and no nausea or vomitting or other symptoms

Thank you for the additional information.

Without seeing her and knowing exactly what happened when she was loose it is impossible to say for sure what is going on.

While rare if sprayed by a skunk directly in the face this can result in a condition called skunk toxic shock syndrome. This can cause vomiting, diarrhea, shaking, disorientation,and seizures. Here is additional information on this. Scroll down to the bottom of the page LINK

Other concerns would be that she ingested something toxic while out such as antifreeze or sustained an injury that was not obvious this morning.

Shaking is a symptom of pain, fever,seizure or anxiety. Not being able to walk could be due to a spinal injury or as mentioned above ingestion of a toxin that is having neurological effects. Toxins or even the skunk spray can also cause seizures and this can present as shaking and the inability to walk.

I wish I would say for sure what is going on but she really needs a hands on exam considering she is unable to walk.
Because we are not sure if she has been injured or if she may have ingested a toxin I would not recommend any over the counter products and would suggest having her seen for blood work at your local animal emergency. If you are unsure where an emergency hospital is in your area please provide your zip code and I will locate one for you. If you are unable to get her medical care tonight then all you can do is try to keep her quiet and comfortable for tonight and have her seen as soon as your vet opens in the morning.

I hope she does ok, Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.