Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What colour is a dogs gland liquid meant to be? My dog

star-full

What colour is a dog's anal gland liquid meant to be? My dog anal glands were very full and when I went to express him, it appeared to be a mostly yellow liquid (it appeared a tainted green colour on the tissue I used to express him). I was told as long as it isnt pus or blood, it is ok. Is this true?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Yes...that's exactly true.

The fluid from the anal glands can be clear to cloudy, yellow, brown, grey, black, green...I've actually even seen it an orange color.

It can also be pure liquid or be chunky...like cottage cheese.

As long as it's not bloody, we're good.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again! That has got to be the quickest response I have ever had on this site! I was told that if there is pus coming out, then there could an issue. Is this the case? When it was expressed, I couldnt tell at first glance whether it was pus or if it was just the typical yellowy-green liquid.

Generally we don't actually see pus...mostly because pus equals infection and infected anal glands tend to rupture pretty fast...

I've expressed thousands of anals...I've never seen pus...ruptures, yes...pus no.

So odds are, you'd not see it...so we watch for blood instead.

And I'm glad I was quick!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good to hear. Is this site just giving away wrongful information then(look at bottom of page)?http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/symptoms-treatments-anal-sac-disease-dogs

I wouldn't say it's wrongful information....I'd say they're erring on the side of caution. I mean...it is POSSIBLE to see pus...it's just not very common or probable....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess, it was just the extract about the colours startled me a bit, since he is otherwise a healthy wee fella (I hope!). Would the pus be a sticky liquid?

It's all sticky!! And smelly!! And you're a much better pet owner than I am!!

I think if it was more pus than normal liquid, it would be cloudy and possibly blood tinged since infections almost always have some red blood cell involvement.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im surprised to hear you saying that I am a better pet owner!! Thanks for your information

I never express my dog's anals....stranger dogs, sure. Clients at the clinic, yep. My own? No way...I have the groomer do it!!! lol
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How often do you have to express them? My wee fella's glands seem to fill up fairly quickly.

I have my maltipoos done every 6 weeks or so. Whenever he gets a haircut. But every dog is different.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have another question which is completely different. The local authorities sent gritters out to grit the roads and I am shocked to hear about what road salt can do. How much of the stuff is bad?

Any amount of that salt can cause damage to the paw pads of a dog...however, if the paws are wiped off as soon as you come inside, that helps a great deal.

Luckily, (or unluckily) the biggest problem comes if the dogs ingest that salt...but since it tastes so bad, most dogs don't even try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what can happen to the paw pads, and how much is required for it to be fatal?

The paw pads get irritated...red....if the salt is left on them, it can cause some ulcers.

There is no real way to determine how much....since all dogs are affected differently..some being more sensitive than others. I'd say though that about 2 tablespoons of the straight salt would be a problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is this a common thing to cause deaths in dogs? i have never heard of any dog ever dying from it. Can ulcers do damage to dogs, or is it like mouth ulcers for us?

The ulcers are just little wounds on the feet...nothing fatal usually.

And no, this is not common for death...very, very, very, very rare.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

if he were to lick just a tiny amount, would he just throw up?

Probably not. The tiny amount would be diluted by other things from the road...dirt...snow...whatever...so it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Got any more big vacations planned?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

nope, not until i graduate next from uni next summer(cant wait). should i be concerned about this?

I would not be concerned about it. I know that's not so easy for you....but I would not be worried at all.

I bet you'll be happy to be done with Uni. I'm heading to Nasheville TN this winter...giving a speech to a wildlife rehabilitation conference on how to use the internet to raise funds! I'm freaked out and super excited all at once! It's not Florida...but I'll take it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you will be fine, you certainly have confidence dealing with worried pet owners! so if my pooch were to talk on it, and i didnt wipe them (i would), then is it unlikely anything will happen? This is something I find really hard to believe to have been an issue in the past.

If your dog walked on it...and you dind't wipe the paws...it would probably be fine. If there was going to be an issue, you absolutely would have seen it in the past.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks. hope the conference goes well.

Thanks Garry!!

I'm sure I'll talk to you before I go!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa