Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my boston had a strange thing-shes 13 yrs.she sarted spinning

my boston had a strange thing-she's 13 yrs.she sarted spinning in tight cirle while 2 legs on right side were sliding out from under her. she was like in a fog. did not respond to her name

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years. I would to assist you. Cher does not work with dogs, so she was not available.

Can you tell me if this is the first time this has happened?

Has there been another other incidents where Sweet has been stargazing, head shaking, tremors or other repetative behaviors?

How long did this episode last.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this the first time forthis type of issue. sweetie is fairly blind from cateracts. Her vet feels she should not have eye surgery since she is elderly but generally a warhorse. Very lithe and fit -has fab yard and is well exercised. This looked like stroke or petite siezure. She is perfect weight and has 8 teeth due to fact she was a rescue and poorly treated for first 2 years of her life.

You are very astute. This sounds like the Ictal part of a petit mal seizure. This can happen for various reasons which can include a drop in glucose levels to a leision in the brain or even abuse in early life. You can read motre about seizures and causes here:

What I usually tell owners is keep a diary of activity whan they notice something different as you noticed yesterday with Sweetie. Document time of day as well as what happened before the seizure activity. If you can get a short video on a cell phone camera, that can also help your Vet. If the seizures last more than 5 mins or start coming closer together, you will want to get her to the Vet asap. I would put a call into your Vet in the AM and let them know that this did happen. They may want to run some blood work and check her out. In most cases unless the seizure activity comes more often or gets worse, I doubt they will start medication, but that will be up to your Vet after a hands on exam. Please let me know if you have further questions, I am here to help you and Sweetie. Just hit reply to get back to me. Joan

Hi Loretta,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sweet. How is everything going?