How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16072
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3-year-old shih tzu ate 3 small malted milk (one packet

This answer was rated:

My 3-year-old shih tzu ate 3 small malted milk balls (one packet for giving out at Halloween). The ingredients are listed as follows: sugar; corn syrup; palm kernel oil; whey; malted milk; wheat flour; milk; salt (sodium bicarbonate); cocoa; 2% or less of: resinous glaze; sorbitan tristearate; soy lecithin; salt; natural and artificial flavor; calcium carbonate; tapioca dextrin.

Do I need to have him vomit? Take to vet? The malted milk balls have thin coatings of chocolate so I think it is a very small amount that he got, but I don't want to fail to make sure he is okay. Thank you.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Clearly, little Declan did not get anywhere near a worrisome amount of chocolate and since the rest of the ingredients are perfectly fine for dogs in small doses, so I don't think they're going to cause a problem in the least.

Tell him from now on he can only have Milk more Malted Milk Balls!!
Lisa and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Declan. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your advice was spot-on! The malted balls have passed through his system, and he is doing well. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the update Nancy!! I'm happy to hear the little fuzzball did well!!

Related Dog Questions