Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 3-year-old shih tzu ate 3 small malted milk (one packet

My 3-year-old shih tzu ate 3 small malted milk balls (one packet for giving out at Halloween). The ingredients are listed as follows: sugar; corn syrup; palm kernel oil; whey; malted milk; wheat flour; milk; salt (sodium bicarbonate); cocoa; 2% or less of: resinous glaze; sorbitan tristearate; soy lecithin; salt; natural and artificial flavor; calcium carbonate; tapioca dextrin.

Do I need to have him vomit? Take to vet? The malted milk balls have thin coatings of chocolate so I think it is a very small amount that he got, but I don't want to fail to make sure he is okay. Thank you.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Clearly, little Declan did not get anywhere near a worrisome amount of chocolate and since the rest of the ingredients are perfectly fine for dogs in small doses, so I don't think they're going to cause a problem in the least.

Tell him from now on he can only have Milk more Malted Milk Balls!!
Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Declan. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your advice was spot-on! The malted balls have passed through his system, and he is doing well. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the update Nancy!! I'm happy to hear the little fuzzball did well!!