Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

our chiwawa gave birth to 2 babies yesterday. they are doing

our chiwawa gave birth to 2 babies yesterday. they are doing wonderful. the father chiwawa although we were told to initially keep him away from the babies is licking them and protects them when the female goes to eat or the bathroom and even growls at us and others trying to see them. is this unusual. we were tld that the father might hurt the babies but hes just as nurturing as the mother
Hi Maryann,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
I usually recommend keeping the father away from the pups as it frequently puts a lot of undue stress on the mother dog. They frequently start displaying maternal aggression toward all dogs and even people. Sometimes males will act aggressive toward puppies and so to ensure the safety of the puppies and to keep mom's stress levels down, we do recommend that all other dogs be kept away from mom. We also recommend the whelping area be in a darker out of the way area so she can have some quiet time.
.
I would monitor him closely when he is around the puppies. Right now, they are pretty much helpless but he may not take kindly to them suckling on him or biting him when they get a little older and may retaliate and nip them. I also want to be sure you are feeding mom a high quality puppy food to ensure that she has the necessary nutrients to support her pups.
.
Congratulations on your new puppies and I am glad that the male is being so gentle and nurturing to the pups. That will make it much easier. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.