Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

Just got a dog from rescueand she has loose stools and I suspect

Customer Question

Just got a dog from rescueand she has loose stools and I suspect from the way she is lickng an irritated ass too. she has to get up in the night to go. usinga v good qualiy dry feed with a mix of a wet feed,any views/
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How long has Bella been with you for? { How many days? }

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi XXXXX XXXXXa has only been with us 3 days. I think its just change of diet new home etcbut we are first time dog owners and are a bit concerned,

thanks

Hello again Mark and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Bella's problem. Hopefully this will be something very minor though, as you say stomach upsets are very common when a dog goes to a new home, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

Firstly because we are talking via the internet I have to say that this sort of thing is always a gamble, so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Bella over ASAP.

However that said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog, these often work well in uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise fairly bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something she should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed new foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug in a new home as in your case.

Here are some examples of suitable home remedies you can start with ...

1. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

2. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, say a tablespoonful twice a day.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Bella deteriorates further in any way you should see an ER vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Mark,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Bella's progress, and I should also be about for the next couple of hours so get straight back to me if things change and you want to talk things over further.

However in the meantime if you should receive any surveys related to my advice to you today then I would very much appreciate it if you could take the time to rate my performance further as this helps my standing on the site.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you again at any future point then you can contact me directly via this link : http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-scottvet/
{ Please bookmark it }
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.
Hello again Mark,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Bella is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Good thanks Scott got her on a rice and chicken diet and slowly introducing good quality driedfood and all is good. Many thank for your enquiry. All the best

Mark

Hello again Mark,

Thanks for the update, I am so glad things are going well.

Regards,

Scott