Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My beagle bit a heavy plastiv spoon about an hour ago and a

My beagle bit a heavy plastiv spoon about an hour ago and a piece broke off and he swallowed it. The piece was about one inch long from point to point and 1/8 inch wide at the widest point. I called my vet and the tech and vet recommended a vaseline sandwich. He
had eaten one cup of dry dog food just minutes before this. I allowed him to eat canned food from the spoon and when I pulled the spoon from his mouth, he had eaten the piece.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Soupy has you worried over eating the piece of plastic.

In a dog this size hopefully we can get this to pass through with out causing any problems.

What you want to do is bulk up the diet for the next few days.

Tonight I would give 1 tablespoon of Metamucil on either mashed potatoes, cottage cheese or even some yogurt this will help gel around the plastic and help to push it through. If you do not have Metamucil you can give 2 pieces of whole grain bread.

Then for the next 3 days give one of the following

* 1 teaspoon metamucil twice daily
* 2 Pieces of grain bread daily
* 2 Tablespoons of canned pumpkin.

You want to watch for vomiting after eating, refusing to eat , pain in the abdomen or trouble passing stool should any of these things develop in the next 3-5 days you will want to have him seen by a vet for some x rays.

If you do not have any of the things I suggested above then I would try just plain bread for tonight and get one of the products mentioned tomorrow.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy