Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

our 14 month old golden retriever has a 104.5 temp, what should

our 14 month old golden retriever has a 104.5 temp, what should we do?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How is Tripp acting?

Any vomtiing or diarrhea?

How long has he been feeling unwell?

Has he had vaccines or anything lately?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

very lethargic, doesn't want to get up. no vomiting or diarrhea. just started about 2 hours ago right after he ate dinner which he was excited about. he has had serious liver problems and has not been healthy enough to have his vaccines.

Has he been around any other dogs that may not have been up to date on vaccines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not that I'm aware of

Thanks for the additional information Justin. I really appreciate it.

Becuase this has only been going on for a very, very short time, I actually wouldn't do anything just yet. The main purpose of a fever is to beat back some sort of problem in the body. Telegraphing that purpose with fever relievers could actually do more harm than good. The fact that he's got a history of liver problems...and that all medications are filtered out of the body through the liver really, really makes me not want to give him anything for risk of making things worse.

That being said...I also don't think we should hesitate to get him seen by a vet...just based on his history alone. So if this were my dog, I'd have the emergency vet take a peek at him tonight. If you're unsure of where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: XXXXX XXXXX plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the right direction.

If there is no emergency vet in your area, then you can continue to monitor him tonight and then re-evaluate him in the morning. I'm hopeful that this is just a general run-of-the-mill fever that will be short lived. Make sure he has water available at all times so that he can get a drink if he needs it, but I would pick up any food or treats laying around.

Hopefully this will pass quickly and he'll be back to his normal in the morning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help, we'll take him in tonight

You're welcome.

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know how he does!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lisa, thanks again for your help. his temp spiked at 105 when we arrived at the er but by 3:30 or so it was back down to 102. His liver numbers were much better than the last time we checked them which is either very good or very bad apparently. His lymes numbers were elevated so we have a full screen for that due back on tuesday. hoping that is the problem and not his liver. Ammonia was not elevated. If the lyme test comes back non interesting it's on to ultrasound to see if his liver is in cirrhosis. This morning he seems back to normal so we'll keep our fingers crossed and keep checking his temp which is already down to 100.2.

Thanks Again! Justin

Good morning Justin!

I am totally going to keep my fingers crossed for just Lyme Disease!! Thanks for the update!