Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Hello! I have a 6 year old male, miniature dachshund. In

Hello!

I have a 6 year old male, miniature dachshund. In the last few days, he has suddenly started taking 15-20 minutes to complete a bowel movement. Often, walking around the yard all scrunched up while doing so. He doesn't appear to be in discomfort of any kind when it's happening - He just keeps moving a few steps, and a little more comes out. Moves a few more steps, and more comes out, about an inch or two at a time.

It's not a liquid stool that comes out, but instead a soft yellow/light brown color and is not hard - It's very soft in texture. His normal color stool is a darker brown. I changed the food a few weeks ago from Purina Dog Chow to Purina Beneful. I haven't noticed a big difference in his bathroom behavior until this past week.

His behavior is the same. He still plays with our other dog, the cat, the kids, etc. He isn't bloated or seems to be in any discomfort (I've poked and massaged all over him and he just wags his tail like always!). He has no history of back issues and at no point appears to be in any pain.

My concern is the amount of time that he's suddenly taking. The stools overall seem smaller in diameter, but it is more in length than is normal for him.

Am I worried about nothing? Is there anything that I can do to make his bm's pass a little easier?

Thanks!

-Jenny
Hi Sir or Madam,.My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .The first thing I would recommend is taking a stool sample to your vet and have it checked for parasites such as worms or protozoan infections such as giardia or coccidia. These are pretty common causes for the stool to become softer. These can be transmitted quite easily as well especially if your dog drinks from puddles at all or other standing water. You can read about them here:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

.

If you have an ongoing relationship with your vet, he may just let you bring in a sample for testing. Another cause might be an allergy to an ingredient in the new food. Compare the ingredients and see if there is a difference. Any food switch should be gradual with a mixing of the two foods to avoid diarrhea and loose bowels. If there is a difference in ingredients, you may wish to switch back to the other food or find one that has similar ingredients.

.

What you might try is adding a little canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food. Just a spoonful should help absorb excess fluid and make the feces firmer but still pliable.

.

I also want to give you information on dewormers as well. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

.

If a protozoan infection is present, your vet may prescribe an antibiotic to help clear the infection. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much! This gives me a wealth of information that is very helpful.

We don't leave our dogs outside as we have no fence and take them out by leash, but it's entirely possible that he drank water on the grass while going out to potty.

The new food has increased protein and we did the switch over a few days. It may just have been a little too fast for him. The information on the pumpkin is great - I had no idea! I will add it to my shopping list for this weekend.

The parasite information is great as well. I will keep an eye on him to see if things improve in the next few days and go from there. If he seems to be worse or with no change I'll make sure to get him to the vet for testing and evaluation.

Thank you again for your help! I was afraid I was worried about nothing but now I know there may be something more going on with Slinkman.

Thanks again and have a great weekend! :-)

Jenny,.You are very welcome. Give him a few scratches from me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sure will! :-)

I'm going to schedule a followup to see how he is doing. No need to respond until you hear back from me.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Let me know,