Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I need some education on Dog seizures and what to do when they

I need some education on Dog seizures and what to do when they happen.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

is your dog on medication?

Sally G. :

I just saw your optional information so I will assume they have not been vet checked for this and are on no meds at this time

Sally G. :

Basically when dogs have so few seizures medication is not necessary

Sally G. :

If a dog has a seizure that lasts longer than ten minutes, or if two seizures occur in a 24 hour period , or if the dog goes into another seizure before completely coming out of a previous one then vet help should be sought

Sally G. :

Right now when you see a seizure coming on all you do is make the area safe for them

Sally G. :

If they are on the couch for example and a seizure starts you would want to move them to the floor so they don't get hurt should they land hard on the floor

Customer:

No they are not on any meds we monitor food also as a precaution. Is there any way of knowing what causes them or is it just the breeds? I have been told that these 2 breeds are known to have seizures.

Sally G. :

Some dog breeds are more prone to epilepsy than others, however any breed of dog can get them.

Sally G. :

Unless there is something definable on a head x ray such as a tumor then in most cases they are idiopathic, no reason known

Sally G. :

Very similar to people

Sally G. :

The good news is that if they do become more frequent it can be helped with medication

Sally G. :

At this point your vet would not prescribe anything since they are few and far between

Sally G. :

I can direct you to a site that goes over seizures in dogs, and there are different components to a seizure. Some dogs fly bite, snap at air, lick their lips a lot , and some act clingy to the owner

Sally G. :

this is a great site

Sally G. :

This way it will give you information but you can refer to it at your leisure

Sally G. :

whenever you want to

Customer:

Ok that is very helpful its a little scary as you dont know what to do but they never have any lasting affects. Thanks so much

Sally G. :

You are welcome. I can understand the scary part. I remember when one of my dogs first got them. But they do okay if kept safe from harm. Sometimes they seem dazed or confused as they come out and that is normal too

Sally G. :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No thank You for the good information I will leave you a good rating Thanks so much and have a good day :)

Sally G. :

you as well:)

Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skippy. How is everything going?

Sally G.