Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 8 year old maltese is on clompramine 25 for seperation anxiety.

My 8 year old maltese is on clompramine 25 for seperation anxiety. The past few days, he has been totally crazy, trying to break the gate, non stop barking, panting, the meds have no effect and he will not stop barking. I checked the whole house for something which may b disturbing him but to no avail. I'm lost, my wife wants to surrender him, I am afraid he has to get put down. Can I get some advice
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Trixy is having such bad anxiety. How long has he been on the medicine?

Customer:

Almost 2 years. With no issues..all of a sudden he started acting so crazy. He will sleep fine on the couch with me, but not in the kitchen where he has been for years. Anytime my wife or I am in the kitchen. He is panting amd acting nuts. If we leave him in the kitchen alone w the other dogs he won't stop barking. This has been his normal place for years

Dr. G. :

I see. and no recent changes: no new pets, new children, packing, construction, etc?

Customer:

He used to sleep in bed with us. One day he started shaking and panting a few years back and would not lay down anymore. Thats when the meds and move to kitchen started. No changes to anything

Dr. G. :

I see. This time of the year tends to cause an increase in anxiety due to halloween last night, however it seems like this was not just something yesterday. It may be that the medication alone is just not enough anymore. Have you tried any DAP/Adaptil? This is a calming pheromone for dogs and is available at many pet stores and vet offices. How about a Thundershirt? this is a tight firing shirt that can help with anxiety. These are also available at the pet store.

Customer:

I have, when it first started. I am at a loss. I'm worried my vet may want to put him down. He is not aggressive at all. Is there another medication possibly

Dr. G. :

There is another medication that can be added. Typically when one medication is not enough, we add in another medication called Trazodone. It is excellent for anxiety in dogs. I think this is the next step. Trixy will need to start up trazodone. This medication can take a few days to show an effect, but I think this is your best option

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. Would a vet typically put a dog down for such behavior?

Dr. G. :

not typically unless you wanted them to. Trying different treatments or re-homing would likely be most vets first choices, however that is ultimately your decision. You have the final say as to what happens with Trixy

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. G. :

you are very welcome. I wish you the best. Hopefully adding in some Trazodone will help a lot. Have a great weekend

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian