Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a male miniature poodle, who has been having digestive

I have a male miniature poodle, who has been having digestive problems lately (the past 6mo?). He is on an excellent diet with both wet and dry food he's done very well on it for the passed two years now. Every so often he will either regurgitate or vomit, more often regurgitation. Last week while I was away my fiancé was watching him, where he apparently vomited what looked like coffee grounds ( I'm thinking ulcer at this point) I didn't think much of it then but this evening and earlier he has vomited twice. He will often lick his lips repetitively from excess saliva. Tonight he began licking his lips again in the same fashion except this time I fed him some saltine crackers and water which after about 20 minutes seemed to relieve him and he fell back to sleep. Does this sound like an ulcer? No blood in vomit that I saw though this means nothing.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Noodle.

Well, anytime there is the suggestion of blood in the vomit, then absolutely, I would be suspicious for a ulcer present.

The licking lips again certainly would also support nausea.

The problem is that with repetitive vomiting episodes I also start to get nervous about pancreatitis as well.
Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Vets will often start a medication called carafate (sucralfate) to help esophagus or stomach ulcers. The medication binds to the ulcer to help it heal.

But, whether you see evidence of an ulcer or not is not relevant, since repeat vomiting is enough of a concern.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I actually have some extra sucralfate and you just reminded me of this! Fortunately I think I can rule out pancreatitis; I had a schnauzer cross with this very same ailment and it bears no resemblance to Mr. Noodles condition. Can I use the left over sucralfate? It must be almost a year and a half old now.
After those saltine crackers he's sleeping soundly beside me. Prior to his second vomiting episode my fiancé fed him a tomato slice and a piece I whatever chicken junk he was eating at the time which had mayonnaise on it. I was not pleased.
Another note, Noodle was briefly on Prednisone for some environmental allergies in August. I am wondering if this would exacerbate his digestive issues? I cut the dosage in half we try to avoid prednisone.
Would this possibly lead to a gastric ulcer??
Thank you very much for your time Dr. Andy btw
I wouldn't use it that old.

If sleeping him, allow him to rest.

Prednisone can cause gastrointestinal issues, but not from that long ago.

Only if you were still giving the prednisone, even at a half dose, could it be contributing to the digestive problems.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think at the time he was on pred he was still having digestive problems, just not as severe. I also think we will go visit the vet tomorrow morning, thank you Dr. Andy for all of your help I feel much more better now. :)
You are very welcome Bellamy.
Good Luck!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you Dr. Andy for your advice, since we have last spoke Noodle had not vomited thanks to what I believe is your recommendations and the use of saltine crackers when nausea comes on. Thank you for your information. I will be sure to keep you in mind when one of my three kids (dogs) act up!
Thank you so much, we have a vet appt. tomorrow!

Bellamy
you are very welcome. I hope everything works out okay.