Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Hi I have a Maltese hes about 5 to 7 pounds and I just let

Hi I have a Maltese he's about 5 to 7 pounds and I just let him out to poop and I noticed that his poop is stuck.. I've tried to pull it out but no luck he's very agitated from this.. I also thinks that he is very constipated because he's been trying to poo for a few hrs now.. What should I do? Sincerely Lola!!
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is something that happens a lot in these smaller breed dogs. The stool gets stuck in the hair and then gets hard and they can't pass anything. This is very uncomfortable for them. You need to get some electric clippers and clip the hair around the anus. That will allow it to be removed with the stool. If you can't get it, then run him to a vet. We do this in the ER every couple weeks for owners.

He'll likely have some diarrhea after from the stress and straining that he was doing. That should resolve over a day or two.