Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

Howdy sir, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a lovely dog by

Howdy sir,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a lovely dog by the name of rocky who is just under 4 years old. He is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Lab Mix and weighs just under 20 pounds. He has had all his shots, diet has been stable and is neutered. My pup has always been a hyper little guy and today I noticed he couldn't jump up on the furniture and when I pick him up he cries out. That just breaks my damn heart because he is my world and I feel useless knowing he can't tell me what's wrong. He has been voiding just fine, doesn't seem to lethargic, his appetite hasn't changed, he's able to walk and he is still a tail wagging lovable little guy. It's hard seeing him try to jump up because he's excited to see me but just doesn't seem to have the strength to do it. I'm thinking possible Disc Issue, Pinched Nerve and maybe Lyme Disease. I did a full body scan several times trying to see his reaction to where I was touching, pushing or pinching but there wasn't a noticeable change in his body language when doing so except maybe the lower back closer to the tail. I'm in the Medical Field but do not have expertise in dealing with animals and specifically dogs. He is my world and I am lost at what to do. Thank you very much sir.

Stephen and Rocky
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Rocky. From what you have described from both his actions and your exam it sounds most likely to be related to back pain. It is possible that he has a bulging disk or he may have just tweaked or strained his back. They, just like us, can also pinch nerves in the LS region which sounds like may be a possibility also. So the fact he is still able to get around and wag his tail is all a good sign. X rays can be done on his back to evaluate his disk space and LS region for any changes that are concerning. But the treatment for a disk, pinched nerve, tweaked muscle are all pretty much the same at this point especially since he still has mobility. Rest is most important. So absolutely no no stairs or running or jumping or playing. He needs to be in a small confined area most of the day and outside on a leash to go potty so he does not take off after a bird or something. And you will want to do this for at least a week. Also you can give him tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound twice daily to help with inflammation and pain. If this does not seem to be enough prescription NSAID can be used, tramadol, and a muscle relaxant to help control his discomfort. But at this time since he sounds like he is not to severe at this point I would try rest/exercise restriction and tylenol. If anything worsens then have him seen by your vet to make sure its nothing more serious or nothing worsening and then to get these prescription meds to help with pain relief. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help! Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much Dr. Whitehead, I appreciate the swift response and your knowledge on the issue. I was thinking it was a back issue but I am definitely no expert in animal care and nothing beats getting answers/opinions from someone that knows what their talking about. I will definitely have the little guy rest as much as possible and prevent myself and him from running around like chickens with our heads cut off. Thank you for the info on the Tylenol, I will try that out tomorrow if I don't see any improvements. Once again, thank you sir and have a great evening.

Stephen and Rocky

You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any additional concerns or questions. Definitely rest rest rest for him! Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!