Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
60411192

Hello- I have a 112 lb Rhodesian ridgeback girl with hypothyroidism.

Hello-
I have a 112 lb Rhodesian ridgeback girl with hypothyroidism. She also is a larger boned female ridge so dont be too alarmed at her weight! Thyroid is under control with soloxine but her hunger is not. After her 1 cup of honest kitchen supper (mixed with water so 2 1/2 cups total?) I went upstairs to come down 5 minutes later with the telltale evidence of her having gotten into what I thought were well hidden old fashioned type pumpkin donuts, 4 to be exact. This was 40 minutes ago, she seems ok, a little contrite and had a bowel movement. Her stomach is a little larger and she's whining a little bit, but she also does that when she hates the weather, yucky out today. I'm paranoid over GI issues bc she almost died 2 yrs ago of HGE from unknown cause. Should I be worried about bloat? She seems to be able to handle lots of food when she's been counter surfing before- just wondering what the first sign of real distress would be. Also I know you can give dogs gas-x but don't have any, could I give her Imodium with gas relief or pepto tablets?
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just worried of the volume of hydrated food with 4 donuts.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Deb

The original expert who you requested hasn't been on the site for quite some time now but I can help if you'd like.

I'm sorry for this concern for Savanna and I can understand why you might be so worried about her given her previous GI issues.
I wouldn't expect a girl of her size to experience any problems of food bloat or the other kind of bloat (gastric-dilatation volvulus) from eating four donuts in addition to her supper. For food bloat, she would have to consume far more than this amount before we'd see any problem.
And for the other kind of bloat, there are a number of risk factors (LINK) associated with it but more often than not, an event can occur without warning, despite doing everything you can to prevent an episode. It's unlikely that ingestion of four donuts will trigger such an event either.

As to signs to monitor which might indicate that she's in distress:
Drooling which could indicate nausea.
Pacing
Bloated abdomen
Assuming the "prayer position"....hind quarters in the air with the front feet closer to the floor
Discomfort when you palpate her abdomen
Disinterest in food.

Development of pancreatitis has been implicated in the ingestion of fatty food and I suppose donuts would quality. Signs to monitor in addition to the ones I mentioned above would be vomiting and/or diarrhea with lethargy.

I tend to suggest Imodium and Pepto if diarrhea is the issue; I don't think either one would be appropriate for this particular situation.
If you have any Mylanta or Tums, they might be useful. The dose is somewhat emperic but about 1/4-1/2 of what a human would take.

If she does develop diarrhea (although I'll be surprised if she does), you could feed her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a day or so. The stools should return to normal pretty quickly.
But if you also wanted to give Pepto Bismol (as long as she's not vomiting and not currently taking any n'said medication), her dose would be about 50 mg twice a day.
I prefer this drug over Imodium since some there tend to be more side effects associated with it's use.

I hope this helps and that she'll be fine....which I suspect she will be. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.