Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Hello, I have a seven and a half year old female puggle and

Hello, I have a seven and a half year old female puggle and she is having a seizures that last longer than 20 minutes, sometimes up to an hour. Everywhere i read, it says that the seizure cannot last more that a few minutes but that is not my case. She always let me know when it is coming and the she cannot walk or stand at all, panting, drooling, often losing control of her bladder and very disoriented. It breaks my heart to watch her. Vet says that if the seizures are not every day or every other day, i should not worry about it too much but the length of it worries me.
Can you give me any suggestions what can it be
Regards, Marisha
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

This is indeed alarming to have seizures this long. Typically if the seizures are happening more than once a week or lasting 20 minutes or longer, I recommend starting up medications to prevent seizures.

Customer:

thank you for your response. I have been monitoring her seizures and the last two seizures she had is two weeks apart.

Customer:

I cannot give a definitive time frame how often it happens, sometimes we can go two weeks to a month without having any symptoms.

Customer:

But i have one concern that i would like to check with you

Customer:

Sasha always get into any food and drink she can find. I am very closely monitoring to make sure no food or drink left anywhere but everyones in while she will drink coffee or soda left on the table. Can that contribute to the seizures?

Dr. G. :

It is pretty unlikely that the human food is contributing to the seizures. It is more likely related to epilepsy, which is not uncommon in pugs and pug mixes.

Dr. G. :

I think given how long these seizures are lasting, anti-seizure medications may be a good idea

Customer:

thank you so much Dr. G, you just re-assured me that her seizures are not from having a small amount of coffee because pattern don't match.

Customer:

Can i ask one more question

Customer:

?

Dr. G. :

sure

Customer:

I have two other puggles and in about year and a half ago all three of them were running around playing and Sasha ran into the wall in the house hitting herself pretty hard. She lost consciousness for just a little bit but then looked normal. So, i think she may had a small concussion. Can this be a cause of the seizures and also, will you recommend to do MRI to see if she has a tumor since she is an older dog or just put her on medication for now

Dr. G. :

It is unlikely that a concussion would cause a seizure and continue to cause seizures. This is more likely a breed related problem. The only way to completely diagnose epilepsy vs a tumor or other problem is with an MRI. It is always ideal to have one done, however that can be quite costly

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX You answered all of my questions.

Customer:

I really appreciate your help

Dr. G. :

You are very welcome. I wish you the best with Sasha. Have a great day!

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Marisha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sasha. How is everything going?

Dr. G.