Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hello, My husband and I really want to adopt two puppies.

Hello, My husband and I really want to adopt two puppies. We have both big dog enthusiast and share a pure love for dogs.

We have one problem, if we adopt the puppies, they would be home alone 4 days a week for 10 hours. We want to know if there is a specific breed we should consider, or if adopting two puppies would be selfish on our part. We want to make sure they are happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Ann
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
Thank you for asking your question here first. While two puppies might keep each other company when they are small, it is very difficult to train two puppies at the same time. For house training, you won't know which pup is eliminating inside. You can only reprimand when you catch them in the act anyway, but still, if you know which one is misbehaving, you can potentially crate that dog. Additionally, you will not know which dog chewed something or potentially got into medication, etc.
.
when you start puppy training for obedience, having two pups automatically creates a very disruptive environment full of distractions that make it hard to train them even in simple obedience. Additionaly while you have twice the fun, you have twice the problems all at once. If you are looking to have a couple of well behaved calm dogs, then I would suggest getting them 6 months apart. This would give you plenty of time to train one before purchasing the next one.
.
My recommendation would be for a male first and then puchasine the opposite sex next. I' would get them fixed as soon as poosible . As for breed, about the only thing I would suggest is to stay away from high energy dogs such as border collies, herding dog and maybe even terriers.
.
Most dogs can do very well home alone for long periods of time IF you are home when you are not working and spending quality time with the dog. Students that get a dog and are gone at school for 8 hours then come home and leave to party is not a goo environment for a dog. But the person who words 8 hours a day, then comes home and walks the dog, plays and trains with their dog and spends the evening with the dog, that is acceptable.
.
Labradors are pretty good choices since they are generally calm dogs inside but can have some energy outside at least when they are young and if you keep them from becoming overweight as they age. Other relatively good breeds would be golden retrievers, great danes, mastiffs if you are looking for larger breeds. I'm partial to rottweilers myself since I breed them, bit breed is a very personl choice.
.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?