Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

my is itchy and she sinks can i give her ceftin

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since it appear that Mina is having an allergic reaction causing this itching, follow these instructions:

1. Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

Ceftin can be used against the bacteria that has caused this pyoderma and is given at 5-10 mg per pound of Mina's weight every 12 hrs. Consult your vet to be sure this treatment is appropriate since this is a prescription product.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cant bath her she hates it I do wipe her with wet wipes . I have tried the benedrly before . I have have some ceftin from a sinus infection and would like to try that to help her . Any quick fix for the smell?

The odor is coming from the infection so if you can get this cleared up, this will resolve the odor.

Try using a waterless shampoo on Miska which will help hide the odor...this can be purchased at the pet store.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I still need to know if I can try the ceftin ?

yes, at a dose of 5-10 mg per pound of Miska's weight every 12 hrs for 7 days..