Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my 8 year old lab has what appears to be a UTI. she has blood

my 8 year old lab has what appears to be a UTI. she has blood in her urine and his peeing frequently. her red blood cell count of over 100, vet said normal range is 0 - 5. her white blood cell count is also elevated at 6 - 10, he said normal is 0-5 as well. she is on amoxillan now. she is still peeing blood and has been on the antibiotics for one week. Could this be indicative of anything other than a uti?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

When the signs of UTI persist despite antibiotic therapy, there's a few things we need to consider:

Dr. Drew :

an infection that is resistant to the chosen antibiotic,

Dr. Drew :

bladder stones,

Dr. Drew :

or bladder tumors / polyps.

Dr. Drew :

In cases like this, the next step is an x-ray or ultrasound of the bladder,

Dr. Drew :

and a urine culture, to see if there's bacterial growth, and if so, what antibiotic will be most effective for treatment.

Customer:

There was a culture done and it showed not bacteria but she had been on the antibiotic for 2 1/2 days before the culture was taken. There were no crystals or stones evident in the sample.

Dr. Drew :

stones cannot be diagnosed with a urine sample. Imaging tests (ultrasound or x-rays) are the only way to diagnose stones.

Customer:

I don't know what they did but when they called with the bloodwork results they said no stones or crystals.

Dr. Drew :

well, perhaps a call to the veterinary clinic is needed, to actually determine what was done. If those tests were not done, then stones are not ruled out.

Customer:

The vet suggested that I keep her on the antibiotics for the full 10 days and then bring her back in to be rechecked. She is VERY prone to UTIs but I'm concerned since she has not really responded yet to the antibiotic and it's been a week now. Should there have been improvement by this time? Also, if I bring her back in after the 10 days, won't her urine still show no bacteria since she's been on the antibiotic? I just don't know how they can figure this out by reculturing her urine.

Customer:

I will call the vet today to speak w/ him re stones as well.

Dr. Drew :

Typically, I see improvement in 3-4 days after starting an antibiotic, assuming it's the right antibiotic and no underlying issues are present.

Dr. Drew :

I'd want to have her off of antibiotics for several days before resubmitting a sample for culture.

Customer:

Yes, that's why I'm concerned. If there has been improvement it's minimal. As of yesterday, she still had blood in her urine.

Dr. Drew :

yes, that is cause for concern and further testing, in my opinion.

Customer:

I will schedule an appt for about 3-4 days after she's stopped the antibiotic. Other than stones, could this be indicative of any cancer? I'm concerned since she's a lab and I believe they are prone to cancers?

Dr. Drew :

yes, cancer is a possibility, which is why I mentioned polyps or tumors earlier in our conversation. Ultrasound is needed for identifying such issues.

Customer:

Thank you. I will call them shortly to discuss.

Dr. Drew :

you're very welcome. I hope that Jade is feeling better soon.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

Dr. Drew :

:)

Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Medicine and Surgery