Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog will not leave his tail alone to heal from a recent

My dog will not leave his tail alone to heal from a recent injury. It was not bad at first, but now it is bloody. Every time we have gotten it healing he will open it back up by biting it, it is not infected and it does not yet need stitches. I have tried every e-collar on the market, he will eat off the wrap as well as the medications on it, as well as every no-bite or bitter product and he still figures out how to get at his tail and acts like he is "guarding" it from the other dog as well as shadows... Any idea on how I can get him to let it heal?
Hi Sir or Madam,.My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. .In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient. .Is the cone style collar the only type of collar you have tried?Where on the tail is the injury?Was the area around the wound shaved?Is he banging the tail against objects that are also stopping the healing process as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried the plastic cones, the blow up or doughnut style brace, the softer cones, neck brace style ones, pretty much every shape, size and variation he has figured out. The injury is the end of a previously docked tail (he is a JRT with the standard docking that was done when he was a puppy before I got him). All hair is gone from at least 1.5" from the wound (he has removed it himself) it is his teeth that he is using, he will act like he is guarding food (which has had issues with in the past) and bite his tail pulling on it

JaCustomer,.Since you have tried the type of no bite collar I was going to suggest, I'll opt out. I haven't seen a dog manage to bite their tail that close to the body with that type of collar. Hopefully another expert will have another suggestion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have worked in the dog field for 35 years. I see you have tried many products but I do not see that you have tried a basket muzzle. This type of muzzle allows him to pant, bark and drink but not bite. What I would do is use a combination of a basket muzzle and a comfy cone. I am assuming you have the comfy cone since you have tried them all. I would put the comfy cone onto a martingale collar so he cannot pull it over his head. This breed is usually blessed with a large neck and small head thereby making most standard collars unsuitable. I would also protect the tail by using a piece of a soda bottle, paper towel roll or if needed lightweight pvc pipinig and taping it on so that any banging/wagging of the tail won't have the wound break open. This means you will have to get inventive in wrapping the tail or you may want to enlist the help of your vet to wrap the tail.

The problem with spays is when the bandage area dries the sprays have to be done again so this means you will go through a lot of spray.

As well I might talk to your vet about giving Benedryl until the tail has time to heal. Benadryl will make the dog a bit tired so it may help him to leave it alone long enough to heal. Continue to wash and put a triple antibiotic ointment on it as often during the day as you can. Use a non stick gauze pad so if the tail is bloody it won't stick to the gauze and pull off a scab when you go to re wrap it.

Here are steps with pictures on how to wrap a dog's tail.'s-Tail

Here is information on Benadryl with dosing. Be sure to use Benadryl
allergy and not the allergy/sinus

Here is a basket muzzle, you can find them on amazon as well{keyword}&gclid=COiRx_fNvboCFewRMwodA20Apg
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience: Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator