How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16087
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dachshund ate a fudge brownie out of my sons backpack.

This answer was rated:

I think my dachshund ate a fudge brownie out of my sons backpack. It was a small square brownie made in a cupcake tin. My dog weighs about 12 lbs. She hasn't shown any signs of anything being wrong and this happened about 3 hrs ago. I am just concerned because it is chocolate. Thanks!
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Clearly, there was nowhere near that amount in one small brownie, which makes it very, very unlikely that you're going to see any issues with Raider (which, by the way, is the perfect name since he raided your son's backpack!!)

In the future, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here:

Since we've bypassed the time to induce vomiting (all the brownie is digested and absorbed at this point) the only thing to do now is to adopt a watch and wait posture.. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and, worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizuring or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover wrappers that he may have ingested.

I truly and honestly don't see there being a problem with the single brownie Raider ate.

I hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
You are very very welcome!!

Tell Raider I said no more brownies!!! Then give him a scratch under the chin for me...I love little Doxies!!
Lisa and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you