petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Hello, Dr Beth! My dog just had surgery yesterday to get his

Hello, Dr Beth! My dog just had surgery yesterday to get his upper and lower canines extracted out. He unfortunately needs the right side top and bottom canines out too but his doctor didn't want to extract all four all at once because he was worried about fracturing his jaw. He will be back in 4 weeks to get the last two out. My question for you is, how long should I wait to take him on walks and also, how long should I wait to play fetch with him again? It's the day after his first extraction surgery and he seems to be doing just fine but I don't want to exercise him too soon.

Dr. Z. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

Dr. Z. :

As far as exercise, usually restriction is strictest only in the first 24 hours after the procedure and that is more due to the anesthesia than the surgery itself.

Dr. Z. :

When a canine tooth is extracted, a flap if gum tissue is usually pulled over and sutured to cover the extraction site hole. This can be rather fragile until it heals.

Dr. Z. :

Healing would usually be pretty stable by a couple of weeks.

Dr. Z. :

So as far as exercise, nothing to vigorous for the next week, but walks would be ok.

Dr. Z. :

I would restrain from the playing catch or anything that required him to grip things with his mouth for at least a couple of weeks or better yet until your vet checks the previous extraction sites.

Dr. Z. :

Does that make sense to you?

Customer:

Thank you for your help. No more bones or Kong squeaky tennis balls! How sad those items made for dogs are so damaging :( I'm glad he can at least get walks in until he heals completely!

Dr. Z. :

Yes, I have seen damage to teeth from just about every dog toy.

Dr. Z. :

You can "love him" with walks in the meantime.

Dr. Z. :

I hope all heals well for him.

Dr. Z. :

Is there anything else I can answer for you tonight?

Customer:

No I don't think so! Thanks again! :)

Dr. Z. :

You are most welcome. Have a good night.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is greatly appreciated.