petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My thirteen year old Labrador golden retriever has recently

My thirteen year old Labrador golden retriever has recently shown an increase in breathing especially at knight., He is also snoring and has started to consume a lot of water. I should also mention the drooling I recently noticed on he's bed. I examined he's stomach by pressing softly to see if he may have an upset stomach and also moved around he's joint areas but he does not show any pain. When he goes into a deep sleep the breathing gets a little more quite but I can not think that the breathing can be because of the temperature because the room is cool. I should also mention that we are visiting my parents and the stay in Johannesburg which is Highveld and oxygen is not as abundant as in Nelspruit which is closer to the sea. May the visit be the cause of he's this or should I be worried?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jimmy today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

Of all of the things that you have mentioned, the one that concerns me the most is the increase in water intake in a 12 year old dog. It is possible for the changes in breathing to be related to the change in the atmosphere but that should not affect water intake. A few of the most common causes of increased water consumption include diabetes, kidney disease and cushings disease (an over production of cortisone in the body). All of these can lead to metabolic abnormalities that can affect breathing. Cardiac or pulmonary disorders are another cause of breathing alterations that often appear worse at night. And finally some dogs with arthritis pain often have discomfort when they lay down at night and will have changes in their breathing patterns that reflect that.

I would definitely not ignore these symptoms. I would suggest that you have Jimmy examined by a vet as soon as you are able. In the meantime, if you could measure how much water he is drinking over a 24 hour period and report that to your vet, it would be very helpful as they try to put all the pieces together and get to a diagnosis. In older dogs, it can be a combination of things so each piece of information can be useful.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back with additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

Good luck with Jimmy. Please keep me updated as to how things progress for him.

Dr Z
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Z

Thank you for your time and effort.

Kind Regards

Hello Rudi,

I was just following up to see how Jimmy was doing. Has his breathing improved? Were you able to find the cause of his breathing changes?

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address.

Dr Z