Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog was diagnosed with hepatitis. A biopsy of her liver

My dog was diagnosed with hepatitis. A biopsy of her liver revealed that she has Klebsiella and Enterobacter Bacteria, no cancer. What is it and how could she have gotten it and how should it be treated? My vet gave her Zeniquin 25 mg. My dog is a 6 yr old Chihauhau weighing 10.8 lbs.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Susie is not doing well

Dr. G. :

Hepatitis is uncommon and the inciting cause is often unknown. Sometimes it can be related to diet: such as raw meat, however often it is due to bacteria from the GI tract working their way into the liver. The bacteria that were cultured are commonly found there. Hepatitis is typically treated with broad spectrum antibiotics: usually 2-3 antibiotics. Susie should be on zeniquin, as well as Clavamox to cover any other potential bacteria contributing to the problem

Dr. G. :

Antibiotic therapy is typically done for a minimum of 4-6 weeks

Customer:

She's not acting sick at all. Your saying those bacteria's are commonly found in dog intestines. How could her liver be affected then?

Dr. G. :

The liver empties bile into the gall bladder, which is connected to the intestines via ducts. Infection can sometimes come in via these ducts, or can enter via the bloodstream.

Dr. G. :

Unfortunately, most of the time we never find out what causes the initial infection, however it is easily treated and often there are no major long term complications as long as her bloodwork looks normal

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. G. :

you are very welcome. I wish you the best with little Susie. Please feel free to reply back if you need any further information. Have a great night!

Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Susie. How is everything going?

Dr. G.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Susie has been on the medicine for 7 days. She sometimes vomits her snack up but I guess this is a side effect of her medicine. She seems to be acting just fine, playing as usual. Thank you for asking.