knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

My 1.5 year old Morkie - who has been trained since 4 months

My 1.5 year old Morkie - who has been trained since 4 months - lately has been getting up to go outside in the middle of the night 2 or 3 times. For example last night I took him out at 11:00 pm to pee; he woke me up at 1:30 am to pee and he got up with us at 7:00 am to pee and back to sleep till 10:00 pm ish. He sleeps with us because we found that he slept thru the night as opposed to where he slept on his own - he would wake us up in the middle of the night. He has slept with us for the last 8 months.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I will try to help answer your question about Datsyuk

knstrand :

When he saw his regular vet, was routine blood work and a urinalysis done?

Customer:

no - mainly update shots

knstrand :

In such a young dog, I would worry about a bladder infection. They would need to obtain a sample and submit it to the lab to determine this.

Customer:

what causes a bladder infection and what are the main symptoms of one

knstrand :

When drawing the sample, we often use an ultrasound guided technique. This also allows a visual of the bladder, checking for bladder stones which this breed is also quite prone.

knstrand :

A bladder infection can be caused by bacteria ascending up the urethra and into the bladder for whatever reason, usually a random event but can have to do with the patient's overall immune function.

Customer:

what are the main symptoms

knstrand :

Main symptoms are drinking and urinating more frequently. Does he urinate multiple times when he goes outside? Or does he continue to try to urinate even after he has emptied his bladder?

knstrand :

Sometimes there is visible blood in the urine, especially at the end of emptying the bladder.

knstrand :

These symptoms can be very similar with bladder stones, as the stones irritate the bladder lining. Some stones are formed by a chronic bladder infection, so the 2 can go hand in hand.

knstrand :

As a next step, I would recommend a recheck with his regular vet. Insist upon a urinalysis so we can rule out infection, crystals or stones.

Customer:

he doesnt seem to do this during the day - his pattern hasnt really changed during the day - he sleeps a bit more cuz - i havn't taken him for his walks as much but other than that - he goes outside about every 4 hours maybe.

knstrand :

Have you tried increasing his activity, and walks during the day? It's possible he has his day/night cycles flipped. If he is sleeping a lot and holding it during the day, maybe he has more energy at night and in turn needs to go out more. However, I would advise a urinalysis to rule out any real health issues which may require treatment. A bladder infection left unchecked can ascend into the kidneys and cause major problems. Bladder stones left unchecked can cause an obstruction. So it might be a simple solution like I said above, but we need to rule out the major stuff first.

Customer:

u mentioned that this breed is prone to this type of infection - is there a usual age that it occurs or both young and old? Also does this infection make them more urgent to get out the door to pee - ie this dont have to pee now but right now?

knstrand :

His breed can be prone to bladder stones, not necessarily infection. Any breed can get infections.

knstrand :

I have seen stones in dogs this young. And have also seen bladder infections. Due to his age, a bladder infection is at the top of my list of possibilities

knstrand :

Yes, the infection would cause a sense of urgency

Customer:

okay - as I mentioned above - he does seem more urgent to get out the door sometimes to pee. I guess I will have to rule out the major stuff - thanks.

knstrand :

You are welcome, hopefully this helps

Customer:

wish my son would become a vet - then he could take care of me in the future......

knstrand :

Totally :) I would encourage that

knstrand :

Have a nice day

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to confirm - should I monitor it more closely - look for blood and try to exercise more to see if days and nights mixed up or get the blood work done first?

I would have to recommend at least doing the urinalysis first. If that comes back normal, we can try adjusting his schedule before we do the full blood work up as he is very young it's unlikely to be a kidney issue.
Hi Bev,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Datsyuk. How is everything going?

knstrand