Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog may have gotten a mushroom, 15yrs . acting drunk,

My dog may have gotten a mushroom, 15yrs . acting drunk, disorientated, in pain. he will eat drink and potty
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Boo is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has he been having trouble?

Did you see him eat a mushroom?

Is he having any head tilt or rapid eye movement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

since Sat

my roommate saw him near a shredded mushroom

yes, head tilt

Thank you for the additional information.

While it is impossible to say for sure without seeing him this sounds more like what you are seeing is a condition called vestibular disease. This is similar to vertigo in humans and can last from a few days to a few weeks. In dogs this is often caused by middle ear infection ,lesions in the brain or hypothyroidism, however in senior dogs this is often idiopathic meaning there is no real cause. For this reason we will often refer to this as old dog vestibular.
Here is additional information. Link

If this is due to idiopathic vestibular then this will normally resolve on its own though some dogs will need supportive care if they are unable to eat and or drink.

While this could be due to mushroom toxicity I would expect to see him either getting worse or better and in most cases these dogs will not continue to eat.

I would suggest giving your vet a call and having him seen just to be sure this is not either a toxicity issue or a medical problem like ear infection or low thyroid.

Until you can see the vet, over the counter Dramamine used for motion sickness in humans may help. Here is more on the use of this medication

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

could him getting into the garbage have anything to do with it ? just talked to my roommate

Garbage toxicity can cause some neurological problems depending on what he ate but in that cases I would expect to also see vomiting and diarrhea. The head tilt is what leads me more to think this is due to a vestibular problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome. Please give him a good pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon
Hi Toni,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boo. How is everything going?