petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

My chihuahua is taking T4 for his thyroid, benazapril and lasix

My chihuahua is taking T4 for his thyroid, benazapril and lasix for his chf. Now he has been prescribed .02 of meloxicam to treat possible old dog's disease. Labs were taken yesterday, I need to call the vet for the results today. My question is will the meloxicam render the benazapril useless since NSAIDs may work against an ace inhibitor?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Jasper Jordan today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

The situation that you describe is one that is commonly encountered in veterinary medicine when dealing with older dogs with multiple conditions. The question that you bring up is a good one and one that does not have a concrete yes or no answer. Since the agents responsible (prostoglandins) for the effect of ace inhibitors (ACE-I) are diminished by the use of NSAIDS, it would stand to reason that would be the case. The effect however is not universal among the NSAIDS, has not been well evaluated in veterinary NSAIDs, and is likely dosage dependent. Nevertheless, in patients receiving ACE-I, NSAIDs should be used cautiously, at the lowest dosage, and with the lowest frequency that keeps the patient comfortable.

In Jasper case, I am not sure that the symptoms of his event on Sunday are consistent with a pain response or one that would respond to an NSAID. If so however, perhaps it would be wise to use a different class of pain medication to eliminate the need for NSAIDs or at least allow the use of a lower dosage.

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.

Good luck with Jasper Jordan in the days to come. Please let me know if I can address any further questions or concerns that may come up.

Dr Z
Hi Bettye,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasper Jordan. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.