Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

pit puppy that recently started to get sluggish

I have a pit bull puppy that recently started to get sluggish and to the point to where he just wants to lay there..This started right after the exterminator came out and put there stuff out side the house. The night after he had bad diarrhea. And still not play full. I have giving him different dog food to see if that would help but hi refuses. I have giving him treats that he love and he takesa couple of bits and juste spits it out. What do I need to do? Also the exterminator said there stuff is animal safe.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Has this puppy been fully vaccinated? In a puppy with these symptoms, I always want to check them for parvovirus. This commonly shows up as lethargy and diarrhea. You should take the puppy to the vet for treatment. Puppies with diarrhea and lack of water intake often get pretty dehydrated, which makes things worse.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

I have to see patients right now, but I will check in later on to answer any of your questions.

Not fully vaccinated. I gave him so far one of the 7in 1 shot. Sometimes he is up and playing then he just wants to lay in my lap and nor move. Also how much would a vet bill be around for something Like this..I need to know.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

If the puppy only had one vaccination, then he is not immunized and he is susceptible to diseases like parvo. If it is parvo, then the vet bill can be the $400 to $600 range. If it is something else, like internal parasites, it could be much less. You need to have ethe dog checked by your vet before he gets worse.