Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is scooting her behind along the ground. What causes

My dog is scooting her behind along the ground. What causes a dog to do that?

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

Sally G. :

Generally it is a sign of a problem with the anal glands. Do you know where they are located on the anus?

Customer:

No I don't

Sally G. :

okay, thank you. They are located on either side of the anus at the 4 o' clock 8 o'clock position

Sally G. :

generally they break open with a bowel movement but if the stool is too soft they don't break which will cause discomfort as they fill. Sometimes there are more serious problems so I would look for any sores around the anus

Sally G. :

Sometimes they can become infected and need vet care

Customer:

Is there anything I should do to help her. She doesn't do it all the time.

Sally G. :

You can bulk up her diet by adding a couple spoonfulls of pure canned pumpkin when you see her starting to scoot Here is a good site on the anal glands http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

Customer:

Ok, I'll try that. Thank you for all your help.

Sally G. :

you are very welcome

Hi Dennis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ody. How is everything going?

Sally G.