Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My nearly 15-year-old miniature schnauzer Harry developed severe

My nearly 15-year-old miniature schnauzer Harry developed severe nasal congestion almost exactly two weeks ago. We've put him on four different antibiotics, flushed out his nasal passages, tried steroids and done blood work, and a thorough dental exam, but nothing has worked. He has elevated white blood cell counts. His energy and appetite are getting worse, and he really seems to be failing. I'm feeling desperate and would appreciate any thoughts you might have. I don't want to give up on him just because he's old. (My name's XXXXX XXXXX)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

So the congestion is only in his nose and not his chest?

Did they do any x-rays or endoscopy of his nose?

Do you know if they did a culture on the material from his nose?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Lisa -- The congestion is only in the nose. Chest is clear. They've done x-rays and there are no signs of tumors or foreign objects. My vet today flushed out his nose and centrifuged the material to get a concentrated sample to send to the lab in hopes of them finding something to try to counteract this thing, whatever it is.

Nancy

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information Nancy. I really appreciate it.

If this were my dog, I'd ask the vet to have a C&S (culture & sensitivity) test done. This is where your vet will spread a sample of the material from his nose over 2 agar plates and then drop little antibiotic discs on the plates. They cook the plates in a heated box for at least 24 hours and then measure the kill zone around each of the discs...this tells them which antibiotic will work best to clear up the infection. It could be that the antibiotics that they've been trying simply isn't the right drug to get the job done. It could also be that your boy needs a longer course of the drugs. The fact that his symptoms either flare back up or don't seem to go away at all makes me wonder if they're just not using the right combination of things. I've seen dogs with chronic infections be on courses of medications that lasted a month, because that's how long it took to get it cleared up.

If that doesn't give us any answers, and the lab sample doesn't give any, then it may be time to ask your vet to refer you to a veterinary ear, nose and throat specialist. These are the guys who deal with this kind of issue day in and day out and may have a little better idea of what is going on than your regular vet.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, Lisa. I've relayed these suggestions to my vet. I really appreciate your trying to help me and my little guy.

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
You're very welcome Nancy!

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer, let me know what they find out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and Harry!!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harry. How is everything going?

Lisa
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Lisa -- On Monday my vet flushed out Harry's nasal passages, put the material in a centrifuge and some other process and concentrated and purified the material and send it to the lab for further cytology analysis. The results came back last night that the likely cause of his issue is short bacilli bacteria, and is now trying zenaguin, a different antibiotic in the Baytril family (Baytril was one of the antib's that hadn't worked). So I've got my fingers crossed. Thanks so much for checking. Nancy

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
THanks for the update Nancy!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!