Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My five pound poodle ate three olive pits. Should I induce

My five pound poodle ate three olive pits. Should I induce vomiting? I'm afraid they will get stuck in her small throat. Or will they dissolve and pass safely?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Luckily olive pits are pretty small and generally pass through the system with little to no problem in the least.

Something you can do is to feed her a little extra for the next few days, just to bulk up her feces to help push those pits through.

Keep an eye on her for things like being lethargic, anorexic, painful belly, or if she stops defecating or does any attempting to vomit with no success. If she does any of that, then you should have her seen by a vet, just to be on the safe side, but I truly don't think it's going to be a problem.

Also try to watch her feces for a week or so to see if she passes the pits.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You don't feel her small size might be an issue (5 lbs)?

No, not at all. The intestines are essentially the same size in a 5 pound dog as they are in a 40 pound dog, and all intestines have a good amount of give to them. I've seen 2 pound Chihuahuas pass things bigger than olive pits, so I'm not concerned about her at this point.
Hi Peggy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Amberley. How is everything going?