Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

I have a 5 year old Boston Terrier with inflammatory bowel

I have a 5 year old Boston Terrier with inflammatory bowel syndrome and numerous allergies. Shes doing well now, we feed only Royal Canin anallergenic food and no treat or table scraps. Its a chore sometimes getting her to eat, she'd rather have table scraps. She has bowel movements generally 3 times a day, which is a lot, but we can't get this to change. In the last couple weeks, every few days shes been wanting to go out and have a bowel movement at 2am which is very annoying, as we have to walk her. My question is how can we discourage this? She is fed twice a day, her last feeding is at 5pm but getting her to eat it usually takes until at least 8pm. Is she being fed too late? Looking for any advice you have that will discourage this.

Dr. G. :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G. :

I am sorry to hear Abby is not doing well. Is she on any medications right now (including monthly heart worm and flea prevention)?

Customer:

Yes, several. Tylan Powder, prednisone (we are weaning her off), Atopica, Denamarin, and Dasuquin

Customer:

The heartworm med is trifexis

Dr. G. :

I see. that is quite a bit of medication. Poor girl. Are her bowel movements normal at the moment or is she having loose stool?

Customer:

Yes it is. We are working towards lessening it. They are normal looking at the moment. After her 3rd or so of the day they are softer, but generally normal looking. It took a while to get her to this. No blood in the stool.

Dr. G. :

I see. The fact that it is taking so long for her to eat her 5pm meal tells me she is likely a bit nauseous as that most often is why we see them do something like this. I think perhaps some Cerenia or ondansetron may be necessary at the moment to help with the appetite. The 3rd stool being a little loose, likely is causing the early BM. We apparently still do not have full resolution yet of the IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). One thing that may be beneficial would be adding in a pro-biotic such as Forti-flora to help restore normal bacteria in the bowel. Vitamin B12 injections are also often necessary as that vitamin is typically very low in animals with IBD. I think the last feeding is not too late, I think her IBD is just not completely under control yet

Customer:

Yes, I was afraid of that. I will contact her veterinarian today. Thank you very much.

Hi Ann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?

Dr. G.