Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 10 year old lab has been going down hill relatively quick

My 10 year old lab has been going down hill relatively quick in the last few days. My wife had noticed some similar behavior a week or two ago before I did. I had applied some tryazanine (bug killer attached to hose type) a few days ago. And since then I have seem him a little nippy with me and my wife, he has been walking in patterns all day in the yard without cease, several seizure incidents, reluctant to go in and out of doors, clumsy, anti-social (all of which are out of character for him). His mom 12 years old is just fine. He still eats like a champ though and is able to go to the bathroom OK. Could the bug killer be the cause or does this sound more like a brain tumor type issue. My wife had noticed some of these signs before this bug killer was applied. I hadn't.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear your boy is acting out of sorts. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Can you tell me when he was last seen by a vet for a full exam and bloodwork?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just did bloodwork on 10/26 and it all came out good.

Do you know if they checked his thyroid levels?

Did they do a good eye exam?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thyroid was good. They didn't check the eyes specfically, but they and us did notice he didn't seem to be seeing very well. One of his ears was hanging lower than the other too.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am happy to hear the thyroid was checked and ruled out as the cause.

You mention he was having some seizure activity and the sudden aggression may actually be an extension of that. Seizures manifest in different manners and a Psychomotor seizure can cause sudden aggression. LINK

If he is having trouble seeing then this to would account for the walking in patterns, clumsiness, aggression( easily startled) and going in and out of the doors. Some dogs do great when they start loosing their sight others do not.

All of that said yes this can also be behavior seen with a brain tumor and the only way to know that for sure is to have an MRI done.

As for when to let him go that has to be a personal decision. I know it is never easy letting go of a friend and e would never want to hurt a family member on purpose.
Unfortunately what ever this is altering his personality to the point that he is not safe and for that I am sorry.

No one would disagree with you in regards XXXXX XXXXX go and sometimes the last act of kindness we can show our pets is to let go so they too do not suffer.

I wish I could give you more positive news. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for response Candy. The only thing I still wonder is if the most recent symptoms (not counting the part about biting my daughter), could somehow be temporary effects of the bug killer ingredients. Otherwise, I don't think we have a choice but to follow through.

I apologize for not addressing that.

Yes some bug killers can have neurologic effects on dogs including some of the signs you are seeing such as seizures.
The fact that your wife saw signs before the spray and the bite incident with your daughter would lead me to be more suspicious of a brain tumor.
If due to toxin exposure this should begin to show improvement in the next 48 hours if no change then unfortunately I think you will have to make a hard decision and not one I would want not have to make I know it is heartbreaking
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. That is what I was afraid of. My other dog doesn't display any of the same symptoms. Thanks again.

I'm Sorry. I wish I had more positive information. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for checking. We had to put him to sleep. He got kind of violent with the vet with the cathader. So they had to give him a booster. But it is over now and were trying to take care of the mom dog now with a lot of attention. Thanks, steve

I am so sorry. I wish things could have had a better outcome. I am sure you are giving his momma lots of love even though your heart is breaking. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.