Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Where does the Xolo breed rank on this chart for learning and

Customer Question

Where does the Xolo breed rank on this chart for learning and following commands? http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html Please explain the support for your number.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would put a Xolo somewhere in the 10-20 range. They are fairly intelligent dogs as they have a history in being a hunting breed. They can also be quite inquisitive and they'll have a guard dog drive. They have a great ability to be a smart and well trained dog.

With a first time owner or an owner that is not good with training, I would not recommend a Xolo. They will require a lot of work to make them a well trained dog. They will test your limits and their inquisitive nature can get them into trouble. It's common to find these dogs escaping from fences and yards as well as barking at anything that makes noise outside. With a strong leader (human) in the house, you can train away from this behavior.

Medically, they also have their set of needs. That goes for all the hairless dog breeds. They are prone to skin disease, allergies, skin cancers, ect. They also need fairly frequent bathing to keep the skin healthy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Gary, thank you so much. Although this is my first dog, I'd like to think I'll have the strong leader tone in order to establish myself as the pack leader. I was leaning to choosing a Xolo because they seem to have far more positive qualities than any other dog... For example, It doesn't bark much and doesn't shed and doesn't drool and is easy to groom and is ok living indoors and is easy to train and isn't hyper and is very intelligent and healthy and playful and emotionally resilient and is ok when left alone for a few hours and is in 10-25 lb. range and is affectionate and is friendly, etc... am I mistaken that the Xolo is alone in this regard and there are in fact other breed(s) I should consider that have all these qualities?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
You're welcome.

I would have to caution you a bit here. The Xolo is a pretty hyper breed. They are very intelligent, but when not channeled correctly they can be quite hyper and even destructive with their energy.

They are also one of the more difficult to groom. These hairless dogs can have a lot of issues keeping the skin healthy. They are very prone to skin disease, infections and allergies as well. An unkept hairless dog can be quite unsightly and difficult to manage.

The rest of the qualities you mentioned are spot on, I just wanted to caution you a bit about the grooming and energy level.

There are some other dogs that would probably do well with what you're looking for:
> Many of the terrier breeds- border terrier, cairn terrier, bedlington, wheaten, westie, scottie. They are barkers and can be hyper, but they're smart and they can be great dogs when trained correctly.
> Standard or toy poodle- highly intelligent. No shedding. Hypo-allergenic.
> Personally, my preferred breed is not on any list. I much prefer to find a mutt at a shelter or rescue. They are by far the healthiest dogs. Some do come with their own issues, but most can be trained out of it. They are also the most appreciative dogs you'll ever own. I will never buy a dog from a breeder. I'll always get my dogs from a shelter/ pound/ rescue. I have no problem with people who do you breeders, but my thought process is that there are plenty of unwanted dogs out there to be breeding dogs for regular house living. When showing or working, breeders are the way to go. For a dog that doesn't have a "job," the shelter is the way to go.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks so much, I can tell you are a knowledgeable and good person. I can focus my search on rescues, the concern which entered my mind there, is getting a mix, I don't know what type of personality and obedience I'll be getting... (also, not being a pup, I won't have the chance to ingrain the father-son bond and name?)

The breed I found that seemed to have the second most qualities compared to the Xolo, was the Manchester Tarrier; or am I wrong about that?

Is it going to be a challenge regarding barking and a first time owner? Is it going to be very needy of constant attention and high exercise? (I have a health issue that prevents me from running or riding a bike)

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.
A Manchester Terrier is a good breed. They're going to be a bit more high strung, similar to a jack russel terrier. They're going to be pretty loud when it comes to barking. That's something you just have to work with at home.

Any terrier breed is going to do better by exercising them a lot. If you can't run/ bike, then throwing a ball for 10-20 minutes a day is a great way to release a lot of that energy.