Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a Schnauzer/cocker spaniel mix, she is a low energy

I have a Schnauzer/cocker spaniel mix, she is a low energy dog. This evening she is not eating, she looks weak, and she is hiding in the closet shivering. She has had an ear infection that looks to be cleared up, but not sure. I also just had a cat die of fatty liver disease 2 days ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Can you check a couple things:
1. Check her gum color- is it pink, pale or blue?
2. Press on the sides of her abdomen- is she painful or does it feel hard?
3. Check a rectal body temperature using any digital thermometer- what is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

her gums are pink look healthy

her abdomen feels tight, but i may not be a good judge of that. she doesn't seem to be in pain when i squeeze her.

her temp is 100.4 (sry i had to go out a buy a thermometer)

Ok good, thanks.

That all sounds pretty normal. The normal temp in dogs is 100-102.5. I'm glad the gums are nice and pink and her abdomen feels fine.

I don't see any reason to worry too much right now. I wonder if she's just a little stressed about the cat no longer being there and the dynamics in the house changing. I would probably just give her the night to relax and de-stress and then re-evaluate in the morning.

If she's not eating in the morning and she still seems off to you, then I would try to get an exam done by your regular vet when they open. As long as she's eating and seems to be improving, then I would bet that she bounces back to normal within a day or two. Sometimes we can see these signs when there is a death of another pet in the house.

I'm sorry for your recent loss, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much.

You're welcome.