Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My lab of 8 years has a shiny pink bunch between her toes.

Customer Question

My lab of 8 years has a shiny pink bunch between her toe's. She keeps lapping at it.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Bessy. It sounds like she has some irritation between her toes and even possibly whats cold a interdigital cyst. This is just a bunch of tissue that can randomly appear/develop due to some kind of irritation. The best thing to do is to clean the area between the toes using just a soft wash cloth and warm soap and water. Once that is clean you can apply a thin coat of hydrocortisone cream up to three times a day to help reduce irritation and inflammation. Also orally you can give benadryl at 1 mg per pound twice daily to reduce irritation and also tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound twice daily to help reduce inflammation and pain. Besides all of that probably the most important thing to do is to stop her from licking the area. So an e-collar (cone of shame) works very well for a week or so to stop the licking to let the area calm down and heal or even using a sock to cover the fur and secure using athletic tape. Licking will just cause more irritation and moisture and will not allow the area to heal. If anything gets worse or the area does not heal over a week or so then she needs to be seen by your vet to make sure it is nothing more to worry about. But again use the topical hydrocortisone after you clean the area really well. use benadryl and tylenol and stop her from licking it using a e-collar or a cover of some sort. They do make no lick sprays such as Yuk! or Bitter Apple that you can pick up at pet stores but may not work as well as the cone or cover. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. I would be happy to help if you have any additional questions or concerns. Please do not hesitate to let me know. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanx very much..

You are very welcome. I hope you have a good evening.