Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog seemed to be a little overweight so we cut back on his

My dog seemed to be a little overweight so we cut back on his food by 10 grams a day. That was less than 2 weeks ago. He seems to have trimmed down already but we also notice that he has lots of loose skin. Is loose skin normal?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Chase.
Yes, loose skin can be quite normal, although very surprised that any significant weight loss would occur in only 2 weeks to result in loose skin. Generally, it would take loosing several pounds to see any difference in skin turgor, no different than a person. Of course, if Chase were loosing several pounds in only 2 weeks, that is too fast.

I always encourage when doing a weight loss plan, to get a initial body weight, and reweigh at the vet every few weeks to keep track.

Similar to a person, when they encourage lossing no more than about 2 pounds/week to prevent loss of muscle mass as well.
So, not a huge concern, but worth a vet visit just for a general checkup.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just weighed him. He hasnt lost any weight it seems. Is it normal for a dog to have loose skin for no reason? My dog weights 11 pounds

Hi Monet,
Sure. Lots of dogs have loose skin. Of course, some more than others depending on the breed and where the skin is loose. For example, up inside the hind legs there can be a lot of loose skin.
So, definitely, some variation, but expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Last question...

Is it normal for poodles to have loose skin? He will be 2 in November. He has the most loose skin in his neck area. My husband and I both noticed it at the same time.

Yes!
Especially in the neck.
That is one of the reasons why vets like to give subcutaneous fluids under the skin between the shoulder blades. It's easiest to get the fluid under there.