Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My 9 mos.yorkie was throwing up the last couple days but has

My 9 mos.yorkie was throwing up the last couple days but has stopped now but has very loose dark bowels. gave her some hamburger and rice, but she didn't want to eat it. she is drinking water
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry that Lulu isn't feeling well.

The symptoms you describe could be consistent with a number of underlying problems ranging from dietary indiscretion to a bacterial/viral infection or even a foreign body, unfortunately.

It might be helpful to take her temperature if you have a thermometer. Normal would be between 100 and 102.5.

Evaluate her gum color which should be pale pinkish in color.

Feel her abdomen behind her ribcage for tenderness or pain.
If she has a fever and/or her gums are any other color than pink and/or she's uncomfortable in her abdomen, then I probably would suggest that you have her seen since she's been sick for several days now.

But if those signs aren't present, then you may be able to treat her the rest of the day and she'll respond. If she doesn't, then I'd suggest a vet visit tomorrow.

1. Since she's not vomiting and if she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products (I don't know why she would be), , then you can give Regular Strength Pepto Bismol. The dose would be 1/2 ml/lb 2 times a day. For example, if she weighs 10 lbs, then you would give 1 teaspoon at each dose ( 5 mls=1 tsp). It may change the stool color to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

2. Consider probiotics such as Forti-flora. These may be available at local pet/grain stores.

3. You could also offer her human baby food but just avoid those with onion or garlic in them.

4. Since she's drinking, you could give her Pedialyte which can help replace electrolytes lost from vomiting and diarrhea.

Yorkies can become hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) pretty quickly so to avoid this problem if she's not eating well, I'd smear pancake syrup or honey on her gums (about 1/2-1 tsp) every several hours.

I hope this helps and that she feels better soon. Deb

Thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with Lulu.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. Even though you've rated, we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lulu. How is she doing? Deb