Dr Keri
Dr Keri, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Special emphasis on nutrition, senior care, emergency medicine, and breeding

Our daughters 2 Year old pit ate a long string of a carpet

Our daughter's 2 Year old pit bull ate a long string of a carpet Thursday mid-day. The dog has been acting normal, eating, going to the bathroom, etc. The daughter didn't realize how much until the dog threw up this morning a large volume... maybe 1 1/2 cups, of carpet. She said the dog still had more carpet string in her mouth and tried to remove it, but the dog swallowed it. What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Keri replied 5 months ago.

Dr Keri :

Hi there, sorry to hear about Luna's unusual predicament. This is a difficult one as we don't know exactly how much more string is in there and it would appear that it was hung up in the stomach for at least two days....I know that sounds worrisome, but we are going to go over what symptoms would make you want to take Luna in for an exam and what can be done in the meantime to help things pass as long as her vitals signs stay OK (We'll talk about that too!)

Dr Keri :

The most important thing here is Luna able to eat and keep food down and is her temperature normal (100-102.5). Please also tell me what her stools look like or if she is not having any. Is her activity level normal or is she depressed? Is her appetite level normal or is it depressed or does she not want to eat? If you could answer these things we will see if we can try some things at home, but I want to make sure she is a good candidate for that first

Customer:

Thanks. I have a picture if what she threw up, there was a baseball sized ball

Dr Keri :

My goodness Luna! Can you post a pictures? Did your daughter give the peroxide because Luna wasn't feeling well and she wondered if there was something still in her stomach or did she give it after Luna threw up on her own to see if there was more in there?

Customer:

Her stools are basically normal, slightly soft. She acted as if she needed "wiping". (residual string?)

Customer:

Full Size Image

Dr Keri :

Indeed she sounds like she may be trying to pass some string....I will tell you a great home remedy for that, BUT if at any point Luna goes off feed, has a fever, won't eat or has repetitive vomiting she will need to go in for an exam and x-ray

Dr Keri :

Oh my Luna...what a pile of yuck! Has to feel better having that out of there....now the big question...how much more is there and where is it?

Customer:

At first Luna was craving grass and acted as if she wanted to vomint. Becca had started her on glucosimine (preventative) and thought that or something she ate was bothering her.

Customer:

I just got Becca... she is the daughter

Dr Keri :

Home remedy for a dog that is still eating and no fever, no repetitive vomiting: give 3/4 cup canned pumpkin every 8 hours along with 2 tablespoons of Dark Karo Syrup (has to be dark) or substitute 1 cup pear juice, every eight hours until stools are coming out easily. The reason this often helps is that the pumpkin bulky up the stool, and the large sugar molecules found in the dark karo's syrup or pear juice draws fluids into the intestines to further bulk up and help them pass.

Dr Keri :

I also give large amounts of fluids as hydration is key in getting foreign bodies to pass.

Customer:

ok we can try that, i did give her 3 tsp of hydrogen peroxide about 10 mins ago and she just vomited more of the carpet up

Dr Keri :

Note too that these only work for foreign bodies in the intestines...if you have something too large in the stomach that can't pass then it can only come up by vomiting which can scratch or damage the espophagus at this point, or via endsopcopy (less invasive that surgery by far!)

Customer:

as she was vomiting i tried pulling on the string of carpet to assist in coming up but the string see stuck and i didnt want to pull too hard so i had to cut it with scissors

Customer:

not sure how much is left though

Dr Keri :

Wow! If she is tolerating that dose of peroxide you may want to do that a total of two time ( no more or she will get an esophagitis and she may from vomiting that stuff up too, but it would still beat surgery

Dr Keri :

It is amazing what you can get to pass with extra fluids (chicken broth works well), pumpkin and karos syrup....but again that will only be for the bits that have made it into the small intestine. once she is done with her peroxide vomiting let her rest a half hour and then start the other home remedy and pay close attention to the symptoms I have listed that would suggest that she needs more aggressive treatment! Let me know if you have any additional questions and best of luck to both of you.....poor Luna!!!!

Customer:

thank you for you help, i will give that a try

Dr Keri :

You are very welcome....Luna sounds like she is going to keep you on your toes for a long time (I love that breed by the way....awesome dogs!)

Customer:

I am rating so you get paid. I will reopen with you if she still has issues. Thanks again!!

Dr Keri, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Special emphasis on nutrition, senior care, emergency medicine, and breeding
Expert:  Dr Keri replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to make sure Luna passed the rest of her yucky carpet fibers! Hopefully she is back to her normal fun loving self by now! And thank you for the positive feedback, that is always very much appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi Dr. Keri,

We though we were out of the woods thanks to your advice. She was great Sunday, eating and drinking, but Monday mid-day she was acting lethargic, but no fever. A trip to the local animal hospital and xrays showed a blockage had developed. Barium confirmed and showed still debris in her stomach and a string inside her intestines, so this morning surgery it is. We will know in a couple of hours how it went. Thank you for your caring followup! I wish human MDs were so good.

Michael, Becca, and Luna

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Dear Dr. Keri,

Just an update on Luna- good news. A week after surgery she is having bowel movements and acting much better. I guess with this much carpet and the lengths of the strands (feet!), surgery was pretty much the only option. Her small intestines were severely bunched, but not ruptured nor strangled, so Luna was lucky. Thank you again for your advice and have a good week!

Michael, Becca, and Luna