Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

My puppy is recovering from being fixed. Her staples seem fine.

Customer Question

My puppy is recovering from being fixed. Her staples seem fine. She has been having trouble passing her bowels. She gets them out but strains and yelps. Today she was bleeding a little from her butt. (We checked her stitches to be sure). Should we be concerned enough to take her in to the vet early?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How may days ago did she have her operation?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
4 days ago. They (she and her brother ChiChi) had it Monday of this week. A couple more things I wanted to mention. When Chloe passes her bowels they are dry and thus why I think it hurts her. But she drinks (and has access to) just as much water as her brother and his come out moister with less effort (from him). Secondly, Chloe's blood may have been coming from her vagina instead of her butt. But we think she's too young for that. Please educate us.
Hello again Chris and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Chloe's problem. Hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. It can be painful for a dog to pass faeces after abdominal surgery like this, the reason is usually that when she adopts the position and strains then this affects the incision in the abdominal muscles and this action thus causes pain and discomfort. If this is the case then the situation will normally resolve in a week or so as more healing takes place.

2. A minor amount of blood and discharge sometimes can come the vagina for a few days after spay surgery as the cervix was tied off. Again this may pass in a few days as healing take place.

3. Provided she is otherwise happy and recovering and the wound looks OK then all should be fine and in a week or so she should be back to normal. But ... you just never know via the internet so if things do not improve or you become further concerned then you should have her checked over by your vet just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a couple of days to check on Chloe's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Hello again Chris,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Chloe is getting on.

How are things going at present?

Regards,

Scott